This past weekend Surfing Western Australia played host to the GroundSwell Surf Competition as part of the Drug Aware GroundSwell Festival, with great conditions on offer along Scarborough Beach.
The GroundSwell Surf Comp attracted close to 50 competitors ranging in age from 7 all the way up to 43 years old, who competed in Open Men, Women Women’s, Beginners and Softboard divisions.
“The GroundSwell offers something completely different to the competitive, result driven events that we typically run,” said Surfing WA Events Manager Justin Majeks. “The GroundSwell Festival brought together everything that makes hanging at the beach with your friends so enjoyable.”
WA surfing stalwart Luke Campbell (Trigg) triumphed in the Open Men’s surfing final, with Edel Rodden (Geraldton) proving she’s a star on the rise taking out the Open Women’s and Beginners divisions, while City Beaches Jesse Siedmiogrodzki dominated the Softboard final.
The Drug Aware GroundSwell Festival is WA’s fave action-packed sand & land festival, bringing together surf, skate, basketball, BMX and much, much more. Beyond the surf, skate bowl and courts, spectators could dip your toes into loads of other FREE activities, including complete wellness, sustainability and entertainment programs, plus the return of crowd fave the 78 Hub & Festival Village! Beach games, DJs, pop-up markets, live installations, workshops and food trucks all highlighted an epic three days at Scarborough?
FINAL RESULTS GROUNDSWELL SURF FESTIVAL 2021:
Open Men’s Surf:
- Luke Campbell (Trigg) – 13.27
- Charlie Campbell (Swanbourne) – 11.94
- Alex McGuffin (Margaret River) – 9.23
- Rory Penkethman (Attadale) – 7.70
Open Women’s Surf:
- Edel Rodden (Geraldton) – 9.70
- Indie Siedmiogrodzki (City Beach) – 8.76
- Harliea Loose (Secret Harbour) – 7.26
- Taya Deasy (Perth) – 6.93
- Edel Rodden (Geraldton) – 17.33
- Harliea Loose (Secret Harbour) – 14.77
- Indie Siedmiogrodzki (City Beach) – 13.93
- Lylah Loose (Secret Harbour) – 8.84
- Jesse Siedmiogrodzki (City Beach) – 15.67
- Bryce Barkhuizen (Eglinton) – 11.40
- Tyler Connelly (Scarborough) – 7.30
- Kieran Pawle (Padbury) – 5.27
For more information on the Ground Swell Surf and Skate Festival head to: www.groundswellfestival.org